I have always done business with local businesses whenever possible. However I have never given much thought to why it is such a good idea until I came across an article from the Gresham, Oregon Area Chamber of Commerce.
8 Reasons Why to Shop Local
- Significantly more money continues to circulate in our local economy when purchases are made locally.
- Non-Profit organizations receive an average three times greater support from smaller, locally owned businesses than they do from larger regional or nationally owned companies.
- Businesses in our local area generally use local suppliers.
- Most new jobs are provided by local businesses. Small, local businesses are the largest employer nationally and in our community.
- Most businesses in our local area are owned by people who live in our community. They are less likely to leave and are more invested in our community’s future.
- Local businesses require comparatively little infrastructure investment and make more efficient use of public services.
- A marketplace made up of thousands of diverse businesses is the best way to ensure innovation, high quality and fair pricing.
- When our dollars are kept locally, it increases the amount of tax dollars collected that support police, fire and other public services. Safer communities happen when we spend locally.